Don't forget to look at the panel on the left of this page for other topics especially if you are looking for information on travelling in the EU (HERE)

Taken from a Facebook post

A colleague went away and house was ransacked and to cut a long story short the insurance would not pay out as she had blatantly posted pictures on Facebook which sometimes shows your destination. Apparently there is something in her small print on her insurance documents about social media whilst you are away. Hubby checked ours and yes it basically says that your insurance is void if you advertise the fact you are absent from home so please be careful. 

With thanks to the original poster

French speed limit has been cut… find out what it’s changed to, where it applies and how to avoid fines up to £650


Look out for new speed limits as French authorities cut the top speed on two-lane roads across the country.

Here’s all you need to know about the new limits as you plan your trip to France and beyond.


What are the new speed limits?

The French Government has cut speed limits on all of the nation’s two-lane roads from 90km/h (56mph) to 80km/h (50mph).

It is likely that in wet driving conditions, the speed limit will drop to 70km/h (43mph). New signage will confirm this.

Previous French speed limits (prior to July 1, 2018)

Motorway 130 kph (110 kph in wet weather) 80 mph (68 mph in wet weather)
Dual Carriageway (Major Roads) 110 kph (100 kph in wet weather) 68 mph (62 mph in wet weather)
Two-lane roads outside built-up areas 90 kph (80 kph in wet weather) 56 mph (50 mph in wet weather)
Built up areas (towns and villages) 50 kph 31 mph


New French speed limits from July 1, 2018

Motorway 130 kph (110 kph in wet weather) 80 mph (68 mph in wet weather)
Dual Carriageway (Major Roads) 110 kph (100 kph in wet weather) 68 mph (62 mph in wet weather)
Two-lane roads outside built-up areas 80 kph (70 kph in wet weather) 50 mph (43mph in wet weather)
Built up areas (towns and villages) 50 kph 31 mph





Under 3.5t Motorways 80mph, 130km/h Other roads 50mph, 80km/h 

Over 3.5t   Motorways 68mph, 110km/h Other roads  43mph, 70km/h

   If towing a trailer then

Car + trailer  OVER 3.5t  on MOTORWAYS 56mph, 90km/h   

All other limits remain the same as above                                                      

Where do the new limits apply?

Speed limits on dual-carriageway roads, will remain as they are.

The new speed limits apply on two-lane roads without central separation, where the limit was previously 90km/h (56mph). Other roads, such as dual carriageways and motorways where the dry weather limit is 130km/h, will not be subject to a reduced limit.


These secondary roads where the cut applies are the French equivalent of A- and B-roads in the UK – excluding dual carriageways.


So – just to be clear – dual carriageway (2×2) roads aren’t affected by the new restriction?

That’s right. Even if these 2×2 roads don’t have a central barrier, they will not be subject to the lower speed limit.


When did the new speed limits come into force?

The cut in speed limit for two-lane roads that currently have a 90km/h limit came into force on July 1, 2018 – just in time for the summer rush.


How will it impact on my journey?

In reality, most Brits will be using the bigger motorways or expressways as they surge towards warmer climes in central and southern France – leaving most untroubled by the cut in limits.

However, travellers will need to be extra vigilant as they join sections of local two-lane roads where the new limits are in force.

It’s likely these areas will face heavy enforcement as the new law comes into force.


What are the fines for Brits breaking the speed limit?

Drivers caught exceeding the new limits can expect an on-the-spot fine of at least €68 (£60), but this could technically rise to €750 (£650) if it goes to trial. Even if they’re not fined at the roadside, Brit offenders can still expect to pay for breaking the limit.

New legislation, in the form of the EU Cross-Border Enforcement Directive, now means that British drivers can be tracked down and forced to pay fines if caught speeding in France.

Prior to May 6, 2017, French authorities were unable to find out the registered keeper of Brit-registered vehicles, this is no longer the case.


Will British drivers get points on their licence if caught speeding?

French police are likely to impose heavy enforcement as the new limits come into force:

No. Penalty points are not transferable or applicable for offences committed on foreign roads. This could change in the future, however.




Recall number R/2018/038

Possible fault. Intercooler sleve may detach from the throttle body

Chassis numbers affected  VIN start number 02781370 to VIN end number 02F64300

Build dates 17/02/16 to 03/09/17


The information contained in this document relates solely to the construction requirements for vehicles. Readers should ensure that they are aware of, and comply with, all relevant requirements on other aspects of vehicle use (driver licensing, vehicle excise duty, insurance etc). CLICK HERE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

Fiat Ducato with Comfort-Matic Heater

Fault Hot Air to Drivers Feet

Useful information supplied by member

Dennis Hobbs who experienced problems with the heating in his motorhome.

Click here for info

Fiat recall notice;

Possble faulty EGR pipe on vehicles within chassis no 02A59559 to 02F21177
A total of 1336 vehicles affected. Owners should have had a letter from Fiat advising them of the recall. There is I understand some delays on parts availability,

General Ecology announce new distributor for UK

Nova Leisure
Century Park
Ballin Road
CV10 9GA 
       Tel: +44(0)2476 390112    Contact: Karl Krisiulevicius

Fiat App for IOS and Android phones

FIAT DUCATO CAMPER MOBILE is the original Fiat Ducato Camper application for your smartphone. 
It’s designed to always be on hand, wherever you go, and to offer you the information and services that you want quickly and simply.


Access a wide range of services at the touch of a finger: 


to find the Fiat Camper Assistance Centre closest to you 
to contact Fiat Camper Assistance directly: your dedicated Customer Care Service 
to store the location of your parked motorhome and be directed back to it 
to ask for roadside assistance in case of need and be aware of the Roadside assistance service range
to check the mechanical servicing due dates and schedule for your motorhome
to check whether your motorhome is involved in an upgrade campaign 
It lets you view the parking areas closest to you. You can change your position or searc range by pressing the “options” button. You can also “check-in”. 
It allows you to view the Campsites closest to you. You can alter your position or search range by pressing the "options" button. You can also "check in".
It allows you to view the points of interest closest to you. You can change your position or search range by pressing the "options" button. You can filter the results based on tourist sites, places associated with comfort, shopping areas and embassies. You can also "check in".
It allows you to view the refuelling stations closest to you. You can alter your position or search range by pressing the "options" button. You can also "check-in".

For IOS devices visit iTunes store

For Android devices visit Google Play Store

Do you think you could still pass the driving theory test?

Click link below to test your knowledge, it's free and only takes 5/10 minutes. There are 50 questions and you are allowed 57 minutes to complete the test. you need 43 to pass. 

Have fun and no cheating!

Free Theory Test

Please see the left hand pane for additional useful information;

Sargent Recall Notice

A small number of PSU built in November and December 2016, and fitted to vehicles in January / February 2017 are being recalled. They have identified 70 circuit boards that may prematurely fail due to a possible manufacturing problem.  These 70 PCB’s were used during a period where 190 EC155 PSU’s were manufactured, so we are including all 190 of these for checking and possible replacement.



If the PSU serial number is between 7908 to 8095 inclusive then it is one of the 190 that need to checked.

Sargent have produced a short video showing how to check the number, and then the internal PCB batch number as required. See the YouTube video below. If you need to contact Sargent, call 01482 881655 or email Dave Chapman at


Fiat Engine Oil Euro 6 IMPORTANT NOTE




I have been trying to source top-up engine oil for the Euro 6 engine and this has been quite interesting. The oil is fully synthetic which of course equals expensive. I have tried to match the specification with oils available and came across what appeared to be a major error. The Fiat Handbook page on Fluids and Lubricants (page 329 in mine) states the oil is SAE 0W-30 ACEA C2 with the specification shown as being 9.55535-S1. This being manufactured by Petronas and named Selenia WR Forward. In talking to Petronas and Castrol I have ascertained that the S1 is ascribed to a Euro 5 engine and NOT Euro 6 and is not recommended for the Euro 6 models. I have spoken with Fiat Customer Service who confirm that the oil required for this engine is SAE 0W-30 ACEA C2 with a specification of 9.55535-DS1. They accept that there is a misprint in my Handbook and showed some concern over this. They have escalated the issue to the powers that be who are concerned with the production of the handbook and expect there to be a correction issued via  a Service Update through Fiat Professional agents. I have also been warned that these engines are liable to use a half litre of oil every 600 miles and therefore a close watch needs to be kept on the engine oil levels.

I am unsure how many members already have Euro 6 vehicles but as more purchase new models hopefully they will pick up on this issue. I am sure that it will take months for this to appear in new Handbooks, mine is dated 02/2015 and came with a 2017 model, meanwhile owners and presumably maintenance engineers may well be filling up with incorrect fluids.


UPDATE 07/05/17

Just thought that you might be interested to know that the saga with Fiat continues.

Fiat Customer Services came back to me to confirm that the correct oil for the Euro 6 engines is SAE 0W-30 ACEA C2 with a specification of 9.55535-DS1 entitled Selenia WR Forward. I asked the source of their confirmation and was told that it was from the Fiat Handbook. Having emphasised that this was not in my handbook they conceded that the handbook was out of date. At the bottom of the last page of my handbook there is a Print Number : 603.99.772 – 05/2015 – 1st edition despite being shipped with a 2017 model. It was suggested that for the up to date version I should refer to the internet to which I responded that this was unacceptable and potentially impossible if I were located on a campsite with no signal or communication. The correct handbook for Euro 6 models is Print Number. 603.91.187 – 03/2017- 3rd edition. On investigation I found that the 2015 handbook was ascribed to all cabs up to November 2016 and suddenly changed to the 2017 version with December 2016 models. I have also established that the latest 2017 Auto-Trail and also Swift models continue to be shipped with the 2015 handbook – someone seems to have a job lot of these with little concern to the end user. I wonder how many other incorrect references appear in the earlier version??


Having remonstrated with Fiat, who refused to send me an updated version, they advised that I spoke with my dealer or the local Fiat Professional garage to come to some agreement as to how a current handbook could be made available!! I understand that the potential cost to acquire the correct handbook is £20 + VAT. You will not be surprised to hear that I will not be paying that!!

With thanks to Bryan Steiner for this information


Drivers who flout the law now face six penalty points and a £200 fine and new drivers could be banned from driving if they get six penalty points within two years of passing their test. It’s illegal to drive, holding a phone in your hand.

If you have to use your mobile then you need to park safely and legally with the handbrake on. To avoid any doubt switch off your engine too as stated in the parking rules in the Highway Code.

You can use hands-free or voice command phones and sat-navs when driving, but you cannot pick up the device and you must be in full control of your motorhome or car.

If you’re involved in an accident or the police think you’re not in control of your vehicle then you could be prosecuted for this or even careless, or dangerous driving.

You can’t use your mobile phone when stopped in a queue of traffic or at traffic lights

It’s illegal to read a text message, check your social media or stream and watch videos when you’re behind the wheel of your motorhome or car. 

If you have to take or make a call it’s best to pull over, stop driving and turn off the engine; or leave the call to go on to voicemail. 

If you’re using your phone as a sat-nav then it must be mounted in a hands-free holder. It’s illegal to hold your phone and use it as a map for directions.

If you have to take or make a hands-free call then keep it brief and then follow it up when you can safely stop. 

You can make an emergency call to 999 or 112 as long as it’s unsafe or impractical for you to have to stop your vehicle.

If you call someone on their mobile phone and you know they’re driving, then arrange to talk when it’s safe for them to stop.

For more information about the new mobile phone laws visit or

-----Information Sheet-

Carriage of Passengers in Campervans


Statement from the Department of Transport

This document provides general guidance and advice on the legislative requirements in Great Britain relating to the carriage of people in campervans. Every effort has been made to ensure that it is factually correct but recipients should check with the producers of this document if they are unsure about the validity of a particular regulation after the date of publication or if they have reason to believe any part is not correct or is now out of date.

General Requirements

Although it is not specifically illegal to travel in the accommodation area of a campervan, you should bear in mind that this area would not have been specifically designed for use when travelling and Regulation 100 of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986 No. 1078) may apply. This requires: a motor vehicle, and all its parts and accessories;the number of passengers carried, and the manner in which any passengers are carried in or on a vehicle; andthe weight, distribution, packing and adjustment of the load of a vehicle, to be at all times such that no danger is caused, or is likely to be caused, to any person in or on a vehicle or on a road.

Further to this, Section 40a of The Road Traffic Act 1988 (as amended by Section 8 of the Road Traffic Act 1991) Part II, Using a Vehicle in a Dangerous Condition, states that:A person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when:

(a) the condition of the motor vehicle or trailer, or of its accessories (b) the purpose for which it is used; or(c) the number of passengers carried by it, or the manner in which or equipment; or they are carried; which it is

(d) the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in secured; is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.

Our advice is that passengers are safest in a forward or rearward facing seat equipped with a three- point seat belt. Seat belt anchorage points should be designed so that they will be capable of withstanding the high forces of an impact and seat belts must comply with the latest British or European standards and be marked accordingly with either the 'e', 'E' or BS 'Kitemark'. We strongly recommend that they are professionally installed by qualified persons (such as a commercial garage or seatbelt specialist).

Although side facing seats, with or without seat belts, are not illegal, we would not advise that they are used. This is because seat belts are not designed to be used with such seats. In the event of an accident, seat belts on these side facing seats may help to prevent the wearer being thrown around the vehicle or from being ejected, but in a frontal crash they can increase injury risk by subjecting vulnerable parts of the body to higher loads than seat belts used on forward facing seats.

If you intend to carry children aged 12 years or under, the seat belt wearing regulations require them to use a suitable child restraint. You should bear in mind that child restraints cannot be fitted to side facing seats. In order to fit the required child restraints, you would need to have forward or rearward facing seats with full three-point seat belts.

Whilst there is no specific legal limit to the number of passengers carried, the manufacturer will probably specify the maximum number that the vehicle is designed for and if that is exceeded,

Regulation 100 of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 or Section 40a of The Road Traffic Act 1991 may again apply. It is therefore important that you also confirm the number of passengers and the manner in which they will be carried with your insurance company.

The requirements for child car seat use can be viewed at:

If you require any further information regarding the content of this information sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

International Vehicle Standards Department for TransportZone 1/34, Great Minster House33 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 4DR

Telephone: 020 7944 2091Fax: 020 7944 2196Email: 

Have your fitted a Nudge or Bull bar to your motorhome?

     Have you informed your insurance company?

I fitted a very nice chrome nudge bar to my motorhome and following a conversation with a member I was advised to inform my insurer of the modification.

To my surprise I was told that my insurance would be invalid if it was left on.      It is now for sale!

Not all insurance companies have the same exclusions, so if you have fitted one or are thinking about fitting one, check with your insurers first!

My insurer is Saga.

Thanks to John Pridgeon for raising this very important point.


Truma UK has informed motorhome owners of a potential safety problem with gas filter cups fitted since the start of 2012. The gas filter cup is located between the gas bottle and the regulator. We decided to relay this call. A faulty processing in the manufacturer's supply chain has resulted in the possibility of a material fault in the windows of the gas filter cup. This can allow gas to escape freely into the atmosphere via the cylinder box. In unfavourable circumstances, this might cause gas deflagration and injuries, although Truma wants to state that it is not aware of any cases where this has happened.  To avoid any risks, Truma has therefore decided to replace all filter cups in the market with a new version. The rest of the filter body assembly is unaffected and will not impact on anything surrounding or connected to it, such as the hose or the regulator.  The probability that the material fault will present itself is very low; however, motorhome owners who have a Truma gas filter fitted in their vehicle must take the following precautions: 

  • Shut down the gas system immediately 
  • Contact your dealer or Truma and order new filter cups free-of-charge 
  • Replace old filter cups with new ones

Customers can replace the cups quickly and easily themselves. The gas supply needs to be closed before the part is replaced. Then the old filter cup can be unscrewed – like when replacing the filter cartridge – and the new filter cup screwed on.

To see how it’s done, watch this helpful video

To order a new filter cup, please click here. Or to contact your nearest Truma dealer or service partner, click here.

We recommend you to address the manufacturer if you are impacted.


Gassing in motorhomes?


The Royal College of Anaesthetists issued a statement last year amid claims that Britons were being gassed and burgled in motor homes and now the robbery of Jenson Button claiming gassing is in the news, it is repeated here.
 "Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth."
"It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time."
"If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice."
They went on to say that the quantity that would be needed to fill a motorhome would require a tanker full and the significant cost would far outweigh the advantage of the robbery.  They also said that the administering of the necessary volume of an uncontrolled anaesthetic agent would mean the possibility of killing the victims.

Motor Home suppliers support contact information.

Check out the links on the side bar for other useful information.

Looking for odd Auto-Trail spares?




Magnum Motorhomes

                   Witter Towbar Systems


        AL-KO Service Centres



This will ensure you receive your 2019 Handbook in December. 


See Members Section


Any outstanding items will be dealt with on the 29th.

If you have an urgent matter please contact any Director

Pat Ash, Secretary


The clubs AGM is being held over the weekend of November 8th - 12th at Cheltenham Racecourse.

The meeting will be held on Sunday morning for club members only.

If you are attending JUST the AGM and not the rally, you are still required to send a rally slip to Pat Ash, (Club Sec.)

(Full details and rally information can be found in your Handbook). or  HERE


See Members Section


Warners 2019 Shows Information Added

See Warners Show Dates


Driving in Europe after March 29th 2019?

Important notice if no Brexit deal is reached

Updated 17th October

See Overseas touring Info


Ralliers at the Llangollen Rally raised £300 at a  Macmillans Biggest Coffee Morning

See Welfare & Charity 


ATOC 2017 Accounts now available to view

See Members Information


Are you a FaceBook User?

Interesting item here

See General Information


2019 Provisional Rally Programme + Warners 2019 dates

Click here


Visiting Europe? Do you have a Dash Cam fitted? If so it may not be legal in some EU countries

See General Information



New Spanish/E.U. fuel pump labelling and signage from October

French speed limit has been cut… find out what it’s changed to, where it applies and how to avoid fines up to £650

See General Information


STEWARDS WANTED FOR 2019 Warners Stoneleigh Rally

See Rally Updates


Safe parking at rallies advice, please take time to read this item.

See Members Information


Auto-Trail -  Where it all began, a brief history.

See Factory News


Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© 'AUTO TRAIL OWNERS' CLUB' Auto Trail Owners' Club is a Company Limited by Guarantee, Registered Office:- 22, Beaconsfield Way, Sketty, Swansea SA2 9JR. Company Number: 4702104. COOKIES EU Cookie Legislation. We only use first-party cookies to provide a better browsing experience. We never set cookies for third-party advertisers. Site owned and maintained for Auto-Trail Owners' Club by Dennis Paul