Information can be found here on Continental Touring

Speed cameras of future’ to be installed in France

Hundreds of new generation “speed cameras of the future” are to be installed in France this year, and have been described as stronger and smarter than existing models.





There will be 400 new cameras installed across the country in 2019, and three times’ that in 2020.

The news comes after minister for the interior Christophe Castaner stated that 75% of existing speed cameras in France had been destroyed or damaged since the start of the gilets jaunes protest movement and after the speed limit drop to 80 kph on certain roads.

This has cost an estimated €660 million and been linked to a 17% rise in road accident deaths in February this year.

Standing at four metres tall, the new “tower models (radars tourelles)” - whose official model name is the Mesta Fusion 2 - are deemed to be much more difficult to damage than their predecessors.

They can see across eight lanes of traffic, monitor several vehicles at once, and tell the difference between cars and heavy goods vehicles. Initially, the cameras will be set up to record speed only.

However, they also have the ability to take note of drivers or passengers who are not wearing seat belts, and pick up drivers who are using their mobile phone on the road.

They can also pick up illegal overtaking, and dangerous driving practices such as tailgating, running a red light, and driving in a prohibited lane or area.

The camera itself also has the ability to change places, to avoid drivers becoming habituated to their placement. For every operational camera, there will be four decoy options, and they can switch places without drivers realising.

The cameras are said to be almost impossible for drivers to avoid.

Several dozen of the new model have already been installed in certain areas of Strasbourg and Marseille.


Europe changes gear over speed limits on country roads

SPAIN is to lower the speed limit on secondary roads from 100kph to 90kph.

The Council of Ministers has approved the measure, which is designed to cut the death toll from road accidents.

At the moment 66 per cent of road fatalities occur on secondary roads, about half of which are due to cars leaving the highway usually due to excessive speed.

Spain joins other European countries that have lowered the speed limit on their secondary roads – in the case of France to 80kph.

The Netherlands, Denmark, Ireland, Finland, Cyprus and Malta also have an 80kph limit while Sweden’s is the lowest at 70kph.

There are four countries in Europe with a higher limit – the United Kingdom, at 96 kph (60 miles per hour). Germany, Austria and Romania keep the maximum at 100 kph.

In these three countries the limit on motorways is also higher than in Spain’s 120kph limit at 130 kph.

The lowering of the speed limit on Spanish secondary roads is part of the battery of measures of the Directorate General of Traffic (DGT) for 2019.

Fines for not wearing seat belts will also be tightened, and the use of other vehicles such as bicycles and scooters will be regulated.

The reduction in the maximum limit will affect around 7,000 kilometres of roads. Drivers of vans, lorries and buses that until now could reach a maximum of 90 km/h on these roads will have to keep to a 80 kph limit.

Germany’s Diesel Ban Is Starting To Expand To Autobahn Network

It was only a matter of time before German courts turned their attention to the country’s Autobahn highways in regards to banning older diesel-powered vehicles.

Earlier this week, a court ruled in favor of banning older diesels from certain areas of Gelsenkirchen and Essen’s city center, as well as parts of the A40 highway. These restrictions are expected to kick off in July 2019.

According to DW, the Environment Ministry of North Rhine-Westphalia, the state where the affected section of the highway is located, plans to appeal the ruling.

Unlike a city center ban, which still leaves motorists with multiple other options to get around, an Autobahn ban might drastically affect the lives of commuters used to traveling between cities. So whether the ban is enforced or not, remains to be seen.

This latest order comes just days after a court ruled in favor of diesel bans for certain areas of Cologne and Bonn. Other locations where diesel-powered cars might get a hard time come 2019 include Mainz, Stuttgart, Aachen, Frankfurt and Berlin – the latter two also aiming to ban Euro 5 diesels (not just Euro 4) before the end of next year.

Of course, it’s unlikely that these bans will be city-wide. In the case of Berlin, a court ruled that by the end of June 2019, vehicles with diesel engines that have Euro 5 and lower emissions standards shouldn’t be allowed to drive on “at least eleven routes,” reports.


Most users have no idea about the laws in the various European countries.  
Here is some information.

(ATOC cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information and we suggest you make your own enquiries if visiting any EU country and have a dash cam/forward facing cameral fitted)

BELGIUM: allowed. Not allowed to publish or distribute the video’s made if people in the video can be identified.

DANMARK: allowed Dashcam and cables should not block the views of the driver. No filming on private property, be aware for privacy regulations.

GERMANY: advise is ‘do not use’.


Be aware of privacy regulations when publishing videos

FRANCE: allowed
Unclear about legal aspect for use in court. Be aware of privacy regulations.
GREECE: No legal information available.
HUNGARY: allowed
Publication of video only wen people can not be recognised.
ITALY: allowed
Privacy regulations not only for persons but it is also not allowed to publish a  video with readable license plates.
CROATIA: allowed
Be aware for privacy regulations, Also certain objects like country borders should not be recorded.
Data protection laws do not allow the use of dash cams.
AUSTRIA: advise is ‘do not use’.
It is not allowed to video people, this affects also use of dashcams.
POTUGAL: advise is ‘do not use’.
Only allowed if one has a license from Portugese Data Protection Authority.
SLOVENIA: allowed
Restrictions when people are filmed without permission.
Spain: advise ‘do not use’.
Use should not distract the drivers attention. No allowed to use in public areas.
Sight of driver should not be blocked.
Not allowed to publish video without permission.
Sight of driver should not be blocked.
Not allowed to operate during driving.
Be aware of privacy regulations before publishing.

• If the use of a dashcam is not allowed do not show the camera on your dash board, even when not in use.
• Always make sure the dashcam does not block the sight of the driver.
• Never operate the dashcam during driving.
• Do not publish video’s when people can be recognised.
• Always respect the privacy from others.

French speed limit has been cut… find out what it’s changed to, where it applies and how to avoid fines up to £650


Look out for new speed limits as French authorities cut the top speed on two-lane roads across the country.

Here’s all you need to know about the new limits as you plan your trip to France and beyond.


What are the new speed limits?

The French Government has cut speed limits on all of the nation’s two-lane roads from 90km/h (56mph) to 80km/h (50mph).

It is likely that in wet driving conditions, the speed limit will drop to 70km/h (43mph). New signage will confirm this.

Previous French speed limits (prior to July 1, 2018)

Motorway 130 kph (110 kph in wet weather) 80 mph (68 mph in wet weather)
Dual Carriageway (Major Roads) 110 kph (100 kph in wet weather) 68 mph (62 mph in wet weather)
Two-lane roads outside built-up areas 90 kph (80 kph in wet weather) 56 mph (50 mph in wet weather)
Built up areas (towns and villages) 50 kph 31 mph


New French speed limits from July 1, 2018

Motorway 130 kph (110 kph in wet weather) 80 mph (68 mph in wet weather)
Dual Carriageway (Major Roads) 110 kph (100 kph in wet weather) 68 mph (62 mph in wet weather)
Two-lane roads outside built-up areas 80 kph (70 kph in wet weather) 50 mph (43mph in wet weather)
Built up areas (towns and villages) 50 kph 31 mph





Under 3.5t Motorways 80mph, 130km/h Other roads 50mph, 80km/h 

Over 3.5t   Motorways 68mph, 110km/h Other roads  43mph, 70km/h

   If towing a trailer then

Car + trailer  OVER 3.5t  on MOTORWAYS 56mph, 90km/h   

All other limits remain the same as above                                                      

Where do the new limits apply?

Speed limits on dual-carriageway roads, will remain as they are.

The new speed limits apply on two-lane roads without central separation, where the limit was previously 90km/h (56mph). Other roads, such as dual carriageways and motorways where the dry weather limit is 130km/h, will not be subject to a reduced limit.


These secondary roads where the cut applies are the French equivalent of A- and B-roads in the UK – excluding dual carriageways.


So – just to be clear – dual carriageway (2×2) roads aren’t affected by the new restriction?

That’s right. Even if these 2×2 roads don’t have a central barrier, they will not be subject to the lower speed limit.


When did the new speed limits come into force?

The cut in speed limit for two-lane roads that currently have a 90km/h limit came into force on July 1, 2018 – just in time for the summer rush.


How will it impact on my journey?

In reality, most Brits will be using the bigger motorways or expressways as they surge towards warmer climes in central and southern France – leaving most untroubled by the cut in limits.

However, travellers will need to be extra vigilant as they join sections of local two-lane roads where the new limits are in force.

It’s likely these areas will face heavy enforcement as the new law comes into force.


What are the fines for Brits breaking the speed limit?

Drivers caught exceeding the new limits can expect an on-the-spot fine of at least €68 (£60), but this could technically rise to €750 (£650) if it goes to trial. Even if they’re not fined at the roadside, Brit offenders can still expect to pay for breaking the limit.

New legislation, in the form of the EU Cross-Border Enforcement Directive, now means that British drivers can be tracked down and forced to pay fines if caught speeding in France.

Prior to May 6, 2017, French authorities were unable to find out the registered keeper of Brit-registered vehicles, this is no longer the case.


Will British drivers get points on their licence if caught speeding?

French police are likely to impose heavy enforcement as the new limits come into force:

No. Penalty points are not transferable or applicable for offences committed on foreign roads. This could change in the future, however.

New speed limits for Belgium

New emissions requirements for vehicles in France

Mandatory anti-pollution vignettes in Paris from 16th January

The Crit'Air round sticker identifies vehicles according to their polluting emissions (oxides of nitrogen, particulates). The controls will be primarily "pedagogical".

From  Monday, January 16, antipollution Crit'Air vignettes will be mandatory for all motorized vehicles allowed to circulate in Paris , first restricted traffic zone (ZCR) of France , but the controls will initially as "educational" .

The Socialist mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, who has made the fight against air pollution a priority, yet has just repeated on the occasion of his wishes for 2017: "More cars equals more pollution , fewer cars equals less pollution. Sometimes simple things have to be explained. "

Prohibited Categories

With the objective assumed to "halve" the number of cars driving in the capital and to ban diesel 2020, Paris is a ZCR since 1 st  September 2015, when the ban only concerned heavyweights before 2001. Since then, cities like Grenoble or Lyon have adopted the device, more modulated way.

Starting Monday, in Paris intramural (thus out device and Bois de Vincennes and Boulogne), it will be all vehicles, motorcycles, cars or utilities, whether registered in Paris, in France or abroad, which will fly round sticker identifying them according to their pollutant emissions (nitrogen oxides, particulates).

Some categories are, however, prohibited: passenger cars registered for the first time before 1 st  January 1997, light commercial vehicles before 1 st  October 1997 the motorbike before 1 st June 2000. "Unclassified" , and therefore without thumbnails, they have since 1 st  July 2016 over the right to move the weekends and weekdays from 20 hours to 8 hours.

For passenger cars, six buttons are available: green for "zero emissions" (electric vehicles or hydrogen) and numbered "1" violet (Euro 5 and 6 gasoline) to "5" gray (Euro 2 diesel).

"Differentiated Circulation"

The implementation of these vignettes "will we use to regain the air quality daily" , said Christophe Najdovski, deputy EELV to transport . And during pollution peaks, alternating traffic will be replaced with a differentiated circulation, "the least polluting vehicles will continue to flow when more pollutants will remain in the garage," he said. "What we are doing, Berlin has done since 2008. Almost 200 cities in Europe have already set up such areas, which have shown their efficiency," says the ecologist elected.

Crit'Air was set up in mid-2016 by the Ministry of the Environment for provision of any municipality wishing to declare in ZCR. The minister Ségolène Royal asked the prefects to generalize by decree the rules of "differentiated circulation" by April 7. The sticker, which cost 4.18 euros - "the cost of printing" , the ministry - was launched in mid-2016 by the Ministry of the environment and can be obtained on www.certificat-


For more information search  Google  for Crit'Air or click  HERE



Many cities in Europe use Low Emission ZonesUrban Road TollsTraffic Limited Zones and Traffic Restrictions to improve air quality, reduce traffic congestion and make historic city centres attractive to tourists. Here you can fid the answers your questions on where you are allowed to drive in cities and towns in Europe. Find maps, what you need to enter, whether stickers or permits are needed, the costs, what the penalties are and much more.

Visit this website by clicking here

Cross Border Directive starts for UK drivers in EU countries on the 6.5.17.

What is it ?


The directive covers eight specified offences – drink-driving, drug-driving, speeding, jumping red lights, forbidden lane contraventions, handheld mobile phone use, seat belts, and not wearing a helmet.

If you’re driving in a country that’s part of the directive (most except Portugal?) and commit one of these crimes, it will become easier to prosecute you.

You may be fined according to the country you committed the offence in. That could be a major fine in countries like Norway, up to 10% of your annual income for each speeding offence

For more info visit

            With thanks to Motorhome Fun for the information


Spanish Government Issues Advice For British Drivers

The Spanish Government has just unveiled a series of guidelines aimed at helping British drivers navigate roundabouts in Spain.  Javier Klutch from the Marbella Department Of Road Safety Prevention says “Many British drivers come here without any idea of how our traffic systems work.  The guidelines published today should help deepen any misunderstandings and further add to the confusion felt by drivers in Spain”.

Full information HERE

List of Banned Dogs by Countries

In the world there are thousands breeds of dogs, many of which were formed by nature, while others, due to the proximity of humans and dogs, were bred by crossing. Among the variety of breeds there are companion and toy dogs, dog-Shepherds, dog-guards, dogs-hounds, and others. 
Some of the breeds are now considered to be dangerous, and in most countries these dogs are banned or have imposed certain restrictions for keeping them. These prohibitions are regulated by special laws. The main purpose of these laws is to prevent injuries and deaths from dogs’ bites. 

Click here to see the list of breeds and countries where bans are in place PEToLog



Read the full story here;


Changes to driving laws and MOT

Towing with an A-Frame?

Spend a long time away from home?

Comfort Insurance are experts in Motorhomes, with tailored policies specifically for Motorhome owners.

Our home insurance offers:

Extended periods away from the property and is essential for many motorhome owners to ensure appropriate coverage at all times. 


Our Aviva car insurance gives: 180 days per trip EU cover

Fully comprehensive cover for towing by A-Frame or trailer.

(Other insurers may offer similar cover).  

Thanks to Peter Shakeshaft for the information.

Driving down to Calpe in Spain last year (2015) on our way to the rally  we were stopped by the motorway police for what they said was a visual check to see if I had the correct licence for driving a 6 wheeled motorhome, after understanding they wanted to see my licence as proof, I then gave them my green paper licence which is still valid until I’m 70 . The look on their face said it all, they told me its not a valid licence, which I showed and told him its states in all EU countries. When he opened it up he was gobsmacked to see all the vehichles I could drive. He has never seen this type off licence before in his career. After he accepted it was my name on the licence I had to then prove who I was, first I showed him my bus pass, that was ano go, then I showed him a valid telehandler licence with photo, also a no go, then eventually I had to show him my passport . He then agreed it was me. his partner then went to Norman Beech who followed us off the road with the police. He had his on one off the new id licences .( Smart b****r) . They took one look at Norman's, then took me up to the junction, pointed at the motorway  and said "Have a good day" .

The jist off this is either carry a photo id driving licence or have your passport to hand, ours was locked in the safe that took a good 5mins to access, all the time he was getting agitated ,

Hope he doesn’t stop me going down again this year.


Dave Kerswill


Web Comments

 If you only have a green paper licence, consider upgrading to a plastic photo licence as it’s also a great form of identification.


Here is a really useful Facebook link to the Guardi Civil Trafico,Spain. It has lots of usful info and will help clarify some question you may have.

Spanish Traffic Police FB site.


More information is also available here motorhome-and-campervan-legislation from the N332 website
(ATOC are not responsible for any information contained on these sites).

If you are planning a trip to Spain, make sure you familiarise yourself with the country’s new driving laws before you travel. Falling foul of the recently-introduced regulations could see you landed with hefty fines. That’s before we even mention the possibility of penalty points on your licence when you get home.


Here’s a quick guide to help keep you on the right side of the Spanish law.

One of the major changes to the Spanish motoring legislation has been prompted by an amendment to EU law. Driving offences committed in any European country will now be reported to the driver’s country of residence, where their licence will be updated with details of any endorsements. The vehicle’s registration plate will be used to identify country of origin.

Speeding- the 10% plus two tolerance of exceeding speeds in the UK will not be applied in Spain. While you may be let away with driving 35mph in a 30mph zone here at home, you will be fined and handed penalty points for doing 31kph in a 30kph zone in Spain. Be very careful of your speed.

Spanish Driving Laws

While driving in Spain, you must obey the following laws to avoid huge fines and potential penalty points.

  • The installation of any kind of speed camera detector or inhibitor in a vehicle could lead to a fine of up to €6,000 or almost £5,000
  • Not notifying the police of the identity of the driver in a vehicle involved in an accident or serious offence carries a fine of €1,600, which converts to around £1,500
  • Any driver caught in charge of a vehicle while double the drink driving limit (0.05% or 0.02% in the first two years of driving) will face a minimum fine of €1,000 (£800).
  • Driving just 1kph above the speed limit can carry a fine of €500, which currently equates to around £400
  • Serious speeding offenders will be left out of pocket to the tune of €600
  • Bear in mind that you do not need to be stopped by the police in Spain to be convicted of a motoring offence. If Spanish police witness an offence and take down the details of the vehicle involved, this is considered to be sufficient evidence to prove the driver’s guilt. The vehicle’s registration number is all that is required

While they are not affected by the recent changes, all drivers in Spain must also abide by the following regulations:

  • Seatbelts are compulsory in the front seats and back seat seatbelts must be worn if fitted
  • The following equipment must be carried in all vehicles:
    • Spare tyre and the equipment required to change it
    • At least one warning triangle is compulsory and two is strongly recommended
    • Reflective jackets are compulsory for all drivers and passengers who exit their vehicle by a motorway or main road. Ensure that enough jackets are kept in the vehicle to cover all passengers in the case of an accident or breakdown.
    • DVD players and similar equipment must be positioned out of view of the driver
    • If the driver requires glasses, a spare pair should be kept in the vehicle
    • Sounding the horn is prohibited at all times in urban areas. The only exception to this is sounding the horn in an emergency.                                                                                                                                                                                                              Thanks to Bill Burchill for the information.                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Information for Switzerland

Rules regarding reflective jackets, warning triangle, headlamp deflectors etc. are pretty much the same throughout the EU. These are additional guidelines for Switzerland.You can only get LPG at eight petrol stations across the country. If you're caught committing a driving offence, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine.The drink driving limit is 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood (less than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml).

You must use dipped headlights when driving through tunnels - and it's recommended you use them the rest of the time too

It's illegal to use any radar detection equipment, whilst driving through Switzerland. If you have a GPS navigation system that shows you where any fixed speed cameras are, you must deactivate this function.

Swiss Road Tolls Most, if not all, Swiss motorways are toll roads, and it is difficult and not really worth trying to plan an itinerary to avoid them. You will need to pay the toll charges before or when entering Switzerland. For vehicles up to and including 3500 GVW. Applicable to Swiss motorway toll roads. Proof of payment is by a 'vignette' (plastic windscreen sticker) which is stuck to the inside of your windscreen. The charge is a one-off payment of SF40.00 which is valid from the 1st December of the year previous to that shown on the vignette through to the 31 January following the year shown on the vignette. Payment and receipt of the vignette are carried out by personel as you drive through the Swiss border control, or, if you prefer, you can buy the vignette from petrol stations approaching the border or from the Swiss Tourist Board online. If you are towing a caravan you need to purchase a second vignette. For vehicles over 3500 GVW (The vignette system does not apply - but see towed vehicles below) This charge is not a toll but a general heavy vehicle tax and applies to all Swiss roads. You will be asked to park up at the border control and take your V5 vehicle documents to the adjoining customs office. Here you fill in a simple declaration form (permit 15.91) stating how long the vehicle will be in Switzerland, used on the roads or not, and you will be charged on that basis. You will get a duplicate copy of the form back as a receipt. The charges (correct at January 2009) are; Per Day - SF3.25 (subject to a minimum charge of SF 25.00). Per 10 Days - SF32.50 Per Month SF58.50. The 10 day permit allows you to freely choose your days of travel before entering Switzerland and is valid for a year. 

Note. If your vehicle is under 3500kg you can enter the country on any non-toll road, manned or not,but if you wish to subsequently use toll roads you will need a vignette from petrol stations or post offices. 


Link to Swiss Customs Administration   where you will find full information on Vignettes

Information for Italy


Important documents

When driving in Italy the following documents should be carried:

Full, valid driving licence* (with paper counterpart)

International Driving Permit (1926, 1949, 1968) (Available from  

Proof of insurance (third party or above)

Proof of ID (Passport)

Proof of ownership (V5C Certificate) 

Visitors driving in Italy are required by law to carry the following items. Hefty on-the-spot fines can be issued for failing to carry specific items:

Reflective jackets (must be worn if involved in a breakdown or an accident or alongside a road where stopping or parking is prohibited)

Warning triangle (compulsory in every vehicle with 4 wheels or more)

Headlamp beam deflectors (Depending on your vehicle, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually)

Red and white reflective METAL warning boards are a legal requirement in Italy if you are carrying bike/s, scooter, back box on the rear of your motorhome. Plastic warning boards are NOT legal.

Italian law requires all personnel riding bicycles outside an urban area to wear a reflective vest or belt starting a half hour after sunset, until an hour before sunrise. The vest or belt is also required while riding through tunnels. Personnel who fail to comply with these regulations are subject to payment of fines between 23 to 92 euro. Bicycles are required to be equipped with front and rear reflectors and headlights. The headlight must be used from dusk to dawn. 

For any visits to Europe you are strongly advised to take out adequate travel and health insurance and any breakdown insurance including repatriation to UK for both vehicle and passengers.

You should also carry in your vehicle your passport, driving licence, V5 registration document, vehicle insurance, MOT (if applicable) and International Driving Permit (if applicable).

If you have any useful hints, tips or news items please send them to


* * *


Latest Covid Advice for Rallies

* * *


* * *


Nothing to


* * *


* * *

Habitation check due soon?

See Auto-Trail News

* * *

Special offer to club members from FIRESCAPE See Advertiser Offers

* * *

Fly Screen problems? Guide how to re-string 

See General Information

* * *

Auto-Trail  -  Where it all began, a brief history.

See Factory News

* * *

Website visitor counter

Click HERE to view our

Privacy Policy 

Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© 'AUTO TRAIL OWNERS' CLUB' Auto Trail Owners' Club is a Company Limited by Guarantee, Registered Office:- 22, Beaconsfield Way, Sketty, Swansea SA2 9JR. Company Number: 4702104. COOKIES EU Cookie Legislation. We only use first-party cookies to provide a better browsing experience. We never set cookies for third-party advertisers. Site owned and maintained for Auto-Trail Owners' Club by John Cleave.